Monday, May 12, 2014

My Favorite Red Lipsticks




As promised, I will show you my favorite red lipsticks today. I love wearing a red lip when I'm not in the mood for a heavy eye or just don't have much time in the mornings. Also, I tried to find some products with various undertones, several brands, as well as price ranges and included lip swatches. 



Astor by Heidi Klum Color Last VIp Lipstick, 004 Funny


One of my most recent discoveries is the Astor by Heidi Klum Color Last VIP Lipstick in 004, Funny. This is a stunning shade with a slightly orange hue. It is completely matte, yet comfortable and not drying on the lips and has medium staying power. 



Mac, Ruby Woo

If you are looking for a more classic red with a more blueish undertone do for Mac's Ruby Woo. It is a permanent shade with a matte finish, really matte. With this comes incredible staying power, but also a very dry formula that will not flatter dry and chapped lips. So make sure you scrub and hydrate your lips beforehand. 


P2 Matte Deluxe Lipstick, 020 I Kiss You

A great drugstore option for a classic deep red is the P2 Matte Deluxe Lipstick in 020, I kiss you. In formula, it is quite similar to the Astor lipstick, as it does not contain any shimmer but it also isn't as drying as Ruby Woo. 


Nars Velvet Matte Lip Pencil, Dragon Girl

Similar to Ruby Woo, the next product is also ultra matte and can be drying: the Nars Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Dragon Girl. This has been a cult favorite in the beauty community for quite some time and is also frequently featured on Temptalia's top red lipstick post here and I totally get it. It is definitely a blue based red, making your teeth look super white, and stays exactly where you put it. I feel like it also is a little less drying than Ruby Woo. The only thing I really dislike about it is that you need to sharpen it. I understand why Nars decided to put this formula in a pencil form (dry formulas like this don't dry out as quickly when they are protected by the immediate contact to the wood, a problem that Mac's Ruby Woo tends to have in the classical lipstick tube) but you just waste so much product when you sharpen it to a precise point.


Catrice Pure Shine Color Balm, 070 Don't Red It

Last but not least I wanted to include some hydrating options that are easy to apply, while still giving you some color. The sheerest product of all is the Catrice Pure Shine Color Lip Balm in 070, Don't Red It. It feels like a balm, while adding a beautiful neutral red hue to the lips. 


Astor Soft Sensation Lipcolor Butter, Cheeky Cherry

Another option with the same undertone but slightly more color payoff is the Astor Soft Sensation Lipcolor Butter in Cheeky Cherry. These are my absolute favorite Lipbutters! As you can see it has been well loved: almost all the writing has come off! It's easy, quick, moisturizing and it still gives off great color. 

What are your favorite red lipsticks? Have you tried any of the mentioned products, maybe some different shades from the ranges? I'd love to hear your recommendations and opinions. 


Photocredits: Kristof Kleine from http://krskln.tumblr.com

No comments:

Post a Comment